|Model :||4 1/4 Litre|
|Body Type :||Saloon|
|Colour :||Dark Green|
|Trim :||Brown Leather|
|Technical Data :||Four speed manual gearbox, 6 cylinder in-line engine, 4.25 litres displacement, 4257cc capacity. Servo-assisted brakes.|
During the late 1920s and early 1930s Bentley ran into grave financial trouble and by 1931 Rolls-Royce had stepped in and bought the assets and goodwill of the defunct company and formed a new one, Bentley Motors (1931) Ltd. Rolls-Royce had considered the Bentley marque to be a growing threat to their future success, but following their purchase decided to continue the Bentley name, albeit under their own stewardship, taking the company in an entirely new direction with the creation of the Silent Sports Car or Derby Bentley. In 1933 the new Bentley 3.5 Litre model was released and was an instant success. The combination of effortless power and style met with almost universal praise. It was powered by a developed twin carburettor version of Rolls-Royces own 20/25 model and was installed in a low 126 inch wheelbase chassis that basically remained unaltered until the cessation of production in 1939 due to the outbreak of hostilities. Synchromesh was present on third and fourth gears and the Derbys were fitted with a cross flow cylinder head and superb servo assisted brakes, encapsulating all of the perfection of Rolls-Royce engineering in this small sporting Bentley. Fitting of individual coachwork by approved body builders continued in true Rolls-Royce fashion giving potential buyers a great deal of choice in the look of their new motor car. 1936 saw further improvements with the introduction of the 4.25 Litre model when production of the 3.5 Litre unit ceased. Chassis No B142HK which we are currently offering for sale was originally ordered by Hooper in June of 1936 and was destined for their stand at the Motor Show at Earls Court in October. In the description for the Motor Show the car was described as a four door, four light saloon with division, finished black, upholstered pigskin, fillets, recessed companions with special fittings, courtesy lights to all doors, fitted radio, golf club carrier to roof top, wheel discs and sliding sunshine roof. After the Show the car was delivered to HRH the Duke of Kent in November 1936, the Duke�s personal registration AXL 1 being transferred from his previous Derby Bentley B 145 AE. The fitting of a division to a Derby Bentley was unusual, but it is not clear whether B 142 HK had been ordered before the Show by the Duke, who gave permission for it to be exhibited, or whether it was only bought by him after the show. The Duke of Kent died in an air crash in 1942 and B 142 HK is next recorded with a Mr Maurice Moss, who owned the car from 1946-1947, when it was acquired by a Lt. Col. Gates, who lived in the Guildford area. The car first appears in the Bentley Drivers Club in 1957 following its acquisition by W. E. Firman. By this date the car had been resprayed in a lighter colour with a light material covering the roof. In 1966 it transferred to the long term ownership of BDC member Peter Bull. Following a fifty plus year period of present ownership, we are delighted to be able to offer this important Derby Bentley for sale. It is in patinated by well-maintained condition and comes prepared and tested in our workshops as per our normal policy. A truly charming motor car in every respect with extensive and interesting history.
If you would like to make an enquiry about this vehicle, please contact us by phone on (00 852) 2285 1888 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org