|Model :||Silver Cloud III|
|Coachbuilder :||Mulliner/Park Ward|
|Body Type :||Sports Saloon|
|Colour :||Gunmetal Grey|
|Trim :||Beige Leather Piped Green|
|Technical Data :||Four speed automatic gearbox, power steering, 8 cylinder 90 degree V-configuration engine, 6.2 litres displacement, 6230cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.|
1962 saw the introduction of the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III which was to be the final variant of the factory bodied standard steel saloon. At first glance it would appear that the all new Silver Cloud III was merely a Silver Cloud II with different headlamps. The introduction of the twin headlamps was clearly the most obvious change, but the differences did not end there. Further changes included the introduction of smaller bumper over riders and the re positioning of the front indicators and side lamps into one single unit on the front wing, resulting in an arguably more attractive appearance. Mechanically speaking the Silver Cloud III was issued with larger 9:1 compression ratio carburettors, improved power steering to aid smoother movement at parking speed and a Lucas vacuum-advance distributor to aid fuel consumption, making it almost identical in mechanical specification to the Bentley S3 Continental that was being produced at the same time. The Flying Spur design by H.J.Mulliner was initially introduced in 1957 and it could be argued that it was the most successful design ever created on the Bentley Continental chassis, being an option offered to customers on all three series built. This cannot be said about any other design on Bentley Continentals. By 1962 with the introduction of the Silver Cloud III chassis, for the very first time, a Rolls-Royce buyer could now choose an almost identical body style for his new car as a Bentley owner, with the fixed head and drophead coupes by Mulliner/Park Ward and lastly Design No 2042, the Flying Spur type design. Although almost identical to the Bentley Flying Spur, the Rolls-Royce variant was never officially referred to with the same title. They were sparingly built, with just thirty five cars built in right hand drive to this design, with a further seventeen built in left hand drive between 1962 and 1965. Chassis No CSC3C which we are currently offering for sale is one of the original thirty five cars built in right hand drive. It was completed and delivered in November of 1965, finished in black over midnight blue with beige leather. It was supplied by H.R.Owen and completed to the specification of the first owner, Metropole Industries of Liverpool House in London EC2. During the 1980s Chassis No CSC3C became part of a collection of Flying Spur type motor cars believed to exceed ten in number, located in central London. It is understood that it was sparingly used during these years, and the exterior colour was changed to gunmetal grey at this time. In 1994 it left this collection, when it was purchased by Beam Harrow Ltd, also in London. It was purchased in 1997 by Mr R Hollands and then again in 2001 by Mr J Rankin who kept the car until 2013. Whilst in Mr Rankins ownership, the car was extensively mechanically reviewed, the works included an engine overhaul and detailed works to the brakes and suspension. More recently, the woodwork was restored by Frank Dale & Stepsons during early 2015, whilst the car was serviced and prepared in our workshops for the most recent owner. The history file indicates that the current odometer reading of 89,700 miles is the total mileage travelled from new, although we cannot confirm this with absolute certainty. This fine example is complete with a nice history file, complete tools and handbook and comes serviced, tested and ready for its next fortunate owner.
If you would like to make an enquiry about this vehicle, please contact us by phone on (00 852) 2285 1888 or by email at email@example.com