1963 Bentley S3 Continental

Year : 1963
Make : Bentley
Model : S3 Continental
Coachbuilder : H.J.Mulliner
Body Type : Coupe
Colour : Green
Trim : Beige Leather Piped Green
Technical Data : Four speed automatic gearbox, power steering, 8 cylinder 90 degree V-configuration engine, 6.2 litres displacement, 6230cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.

History

Bentley launched the new S3 Continental in October 1962. Its predecessor, the S2 Continental, had benefited from technical innovation with the introduction of the V8 configured engine moving on from the straight 6 cylinder configuration of the original S1 Continental. The S3 was given a further boost in power with larger 9.1 compression ratio carburettors, improved power steering to aid movement at parking speeds and a Lucas vacuum-advance distributor to aid fuel consumption. Aesthetically, the S3 was also to enjoy a face lift of sorts with new distinctive twin headlamps, improving visibility at night. Fog lights were still fitted, but these no longer had dual function as flashing indicators. The indicators on the new models were incorporated into redesigned sidelights, positioned on the front of the wings. A further change were smaller bumper over riders and a slightly reduced radiator height of about 1.5 inches, giving a sloping bonnet line, improving forward vision. Individual front seats and arm rests became a standard feature and more powerful lighting and additional indication lights and switches on the instrument panel were introduced, presenting a far more modern feel to the last of the S Series Bentleys. It was perhaps the ultimate post war Bentley motor car in terms of appearance, performance and practicality and the last medium sized Bentley motor car to be offered with custom coachwork. H.J.Mulliner of Chiswick were responsible for some of the most iconic and beautiful coachwork designs on post war Bentley chassis, especially the Continental variants. Their styling of the R Type Continental Fastback and S1 Fastback developed onto the S2 Continental coupe between 1959 and 1962, with the final development being Design No 2012, the S3 Continental coupe. The lines were very similar in most ways to its predecessor, with its wrap around rear windscreen and its graceful appearance. But the S3 Continental option was produced in far fewer numbers, with just eight cars in right hand drive and a further three in left hand drive. Chassis No BC100XA is one of the original eight cars built in right hand drive and was completed in March of 1963. It was supplied by H.R.Owen to its first owner, Mr S.J. Chaffrey of Sutton Coldfield in Warwickshire. It was originally completed in velvet green with a beige leather interior and fitted with a triplex roof panel. In October 1964 the car was purchased by Mr J Elliott of Yorkshire who retained the car until 1971 when it was supplied by Jack Barclay to its third owner, Mr D Wheeler of Warren Street in London. In more recent times Chassis No BC100XA has belonged to the same family in central London, for approximately the last twenty years. It has been serviced and mechanically maintained in our workshops and drives just as one would expect, with smooth transmission and effortless power. It comes complete with all of its original tools, including the small took kit located in the boot, along with its handbook. Chassis No BC100XA represents a rare opportunity to acquire this greatly admired model, the culmination of H.J.Mulliners development in the post war era.

If you would like to make an enquiry about this vehicle, please contact us by phone on (00 852) 2285 1888 or by email at enquiry@frankdale.com.hk