|Model :||S2 Continental|
|Coachbuilder :||Park Ward (Left Hand Drive)|
|Body Type :||Drophead Coupe|
|Colour :||Dawn Blue|
|Trim :||Grey Leather|
|Technical Data :||Four speed automatic gearbox, power steering, 8 cylinder 90 degree V-configuration engine, 6.2 litres displacement, 6230cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.|
The S1 Continental engine had effectively run its course by 1959 and could not be developed any further. The approximate 160bhp power output was more than sufficient but due to pressures and competition elsewhere Rolls-Royce sought out an improved power unit to deliver more speed whilst retaining the Bentley Continentals refined performance. The answer was a complete move away from the six cylinder inline engine configuration, to an all new V8 engine boasting 6,230cc and an estimated 200bhp boosting the power by nearly 25%. It had been developed at Crewe for some years prior to being fitted to the first S2 Continental chassis at the Hooper works in December of 1959 and was an immediate success. It was constructed almost entirely in aluminium and was of a very similar weight to the S1 Continentals engine, but featured hydraulic tappets to ensure quiet running. A few other mechanical aspects were modified including the braking and lubrication systems, with automatic transmission now a standard fitting, making the Bentley S2 Continental a motor car capable of speeds approaching 120mph. Acquired in 1960 by Rolls-Royce, coachbuilders H.J. Mulliner had largely been entrusted with the creation of the closed body styles on the Continental chassis. Rolls-Royce turned to the experts at Park Ward, who had been owned by Rolls-Royce since before the war, to provide the styling and construction of the future open variants in the Bentley Continental range. Whilst at the Turin Motor Show, some of the Rolls-Royce hierarchy had been impressed with the styling of an Alfa Romeo coupe created by a Norwegian designer named Vilhelm Koren. They were so impressed that the Norwegian freelance designer was brought in to the Crewe styling office and asked to design the new Park Ward drophead coupe body to be fitted to the S2 Continental chassis. The result was quite a departure from the previously familiar lines of the Bentley Continentals of the past, with an all new straight wingline, rear fins and new styled headlamps. Steel was also used in the construction of the body, with it being used to create the floor pan, sills, rear wings and scuttle. The final product proved to be very successful and sold well much to the delight of the vindicated design team at Crewe. It should be noted that a fixed head coupe was also designed by Koren for the S2 Continental chassis, but was never produced. Chassis No BC119LCZ was completed in August of 1962 and supplied by Inskip in New York to its first owner, Mr George Kelly of Chicago, finished in dawn blue with a blue leather interior. The car remained in Chicago for almost ten years until purchased by Mr Adrian West in Vermont. In more recent years the car returned to Europe where it was part of a small collection in Holland. We have recently improved this handsome motor car to showroom condition, with mechanical and electrical preparation as and where necessary, coachwork restoration, chrome restoration, a new hood and headlining, woodwork restoration and new carpets. The car now presents and drives beautifully. Chassis No BC119LCZ is one of just 124 examples bodied in this style by Park Ward, this being one of 61 original left hand drive cars. It is complete with an un-plundered small tool kit and is ready for summer motoring.
If you would like to make an enquiry about this vehicle, please contact us by phone on (00 852) 2285 1888 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org