|Model :||Silver Cloud II|
|Coachbuilder :||H.J.Mulliner (Left Hand Drive)|
|Body Type :||Drophead Coupe|
|Colour :||Shell Grey|
|Trim :||Red Leather|
|Technical Data :||Four speed automatic gearbox, power steering, 8 cylinder 90 degree V-configuration engine, 6.2 litres displacement, 6230cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.|
The Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I engine had effectively run its course by 1959 and could not be developed any further. The approximate 160bhp power output was more than sufficient but due to pressures and competition elsewhere Rolls-Royce sought out an improved power unit to deliver more speed whilst retaining the refined performance. The answer was a complete move away from the six cylinder inline engine configuration, to an all new V8 engine boasting 6,230cc and an estimated 200bhp, boosting the power by nearly 25%. It had been developed at Crewe for some years prior and was an immediate success. It was constructed almost entirely in aluminium and was of a very similar weight to the S1 Continentals engine, but featured hydraulic tappets to ensure quiet running. A few other mechanical aspects were modified including the braking and lubrication systems, with automatic transmission and power steering now standard fittings, making the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II a motor car capable of far higher cruising speeds than ever before. The vast majority of the production between late 1959 and early 1962 were the factory design, commonly known as the Standard Steel Saloon. However a limited number of cars were adapted at the H.J. Mulliner works in Chiswick to design number 7504, retaining the basic lines of the coachwork in the form of a very elegant drophead coupe. The correct term for this rare and desirable motor car is an Adaptation by H.J. Mulliner and should not be confused with cars that have subsequently been converted in more recent times. Just seventy four original H.J. Mulliner drophead coupes were built in left hand drive on the Silver Cloud II chassis and we are very pleased to be able to offer one for sale at this time. Chassis No LSAE 499 was completed in April of 1962, built to the USA specification which included the split bench design front seat and white wall tyres and finished in Polo White with red leather interior. It was shipped to Rolls Royce of Canada in Montreal, and supplied by an independent supplier Budd & Dyer Ltd to its first owner Mr V G Cardy of Montreal. It subsequently went south of the border to the United States in 1972 when purchased by a collector in Pensacola, Florida and two years later in 1974 was acquired by a collector in New York City. In more recent times the car made its way back to Europe and in 2006 became part of a small collection in Valencia, Spain. Some 53 years after it was originally built, chassis no LSAE 499 has now returned to the UK when recently acquired by Frank Dale & Stepsons. It has been cosmetically restored to a very high standard in recent times, now finished in Shell Grey with a striking red leather interior and red mohair hood to match. The cosmetic aspects of the car are in first class condition and as per our normal policy we have conducted a full mechanical report and the car will undergo the required preparation prior to purchase and collection/delivery, ensuring correct performance, reliability and pleasurable motoring. The car comes complete with the correct period handbook, wheel-changing tools and its small toolkit secured in the boot of the car in its usual location. This first class example is visually impressive and will undoubtedly bring a great deal of pleasure to its next fortunate owner.
If you would like to make an enquiry about this vehicle, please contact us by phone on (00 852) 2285 1888 or by email at email@example.com