|Model :||Silver Wraith|
|Coachbuilder :||Park Ward|
|Body Type :||Long Wheel Base Drophead Coupe|
|Colour :||Brewster Green and Cream|
|Trim :||Beige Leather|
|Technical Data :||Four speed automatic gearbox, 6 cylinder in line configuration engine, 4.5 litres displacement, 4566cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.|
Manufacture of Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars soon resumed in 1946 after World War II with production of the Silver Wraith. It was initially offered with the same engine dimensions as the pre-war Wraith and 4.25 Litre Bentley, but cylinder head design was entirely different, being cast in aluminium alloy and containing only the inlet valves; spent gases exhaust through valves in the cylinder block. Front suspension is by a robust coil spring twin fulcrum arm system, a much simplified development of Phantom III and Wraith equipment. It is mounted on a chassis frame with the same great strength, fitted with orthodox leaf springs at the rear. It came in two lengths, a standard 127 inch chassis and a long wheel base variant measuring 133 inches. The familiar delightful gear shift was retained with automatic transmission becoming an option from 1953 onwards. The automatic gearbox was effectively a refined and developed version of the General Motors design. The introduction of this innovation coincided with the widening of the cylinder bores to 3.625 inches. This allied to an unchanged stroke of 4.5 inches enlarged the engine capacity to 4566cc. The famous servo assisted braking system is partially hydraulic and the last cars have power assisted steering with a 4887cc engine. The Silver Wraith chassis were offered until 1959 and were always fitted with handmade individually crafted coachwork. The war years had certainly taken their toll on the coach building industry in England, with many famous names ceasing to exist by the mid 1940s. However some of the most established companies did survive, such as H.J. Mulliner, Park Ward and Hooper who between them were responsible for designing and creating some of the most elegant and stylish coachwork fitted to the Silver Wraith chassis. A total of 1,886 Silver Wraiths were produced between 1946 and 1959 and were ordered by a diverse cross section of customers, including governments who purchased them for Presidential use. A number of cars were purchased by nobility and Royal families all over the world. The Silver Wraith also found favour amongst captains of industry as well as recognised stars in the entertainment world, making it a very successful return to motor car production for Rolls-Royce. Chassis No BLW77 was completed at the Park Ward works in Willesden in April of 1954, built to the order of Neville Industrial Securities. It was built to Design No 547 and was the only car to be completed in this style, fitted with a power hood, power windows and rear wheel spats. It could be described as Park Wards most stylish creation on the long wheel base Silver Wraith chassis. It was purchased by Frank Dale & Stepsons in the early 1980ís from a Swedish collector and restored at this time; the work included a bare metal re-paint, new interior, new hood and mechanical preparation. It subsequently attended a number of concours events where it was regularly rewarded for its quality, elegance and style. It has remained in our collection ever since, used on a regular basis throughout the year attending motoring events and social functions. It has been maintained in our workshops throughout to ensure reliability, correct performance and pleasurable motoring. It is widely admired wherever it goes and is now offered for sale for the first time on over three decades complete with tools and original handbook.
If you would like to make an enquiry about this vehicle, please contact us by phone on (00 852) 2285 1888 or by email at email@example.com